Chinese new year: Lion dance
Lion dance is a traditional Chinese dance which is done on big occasions, such as the spring festival such as Chinese New Year for good fortune because it is believed that the lion is an auspicious beast.
Importance of lion dances at Chinese new year
- Lion's dance Chinese is one of the most important traditions on New Year. This is done to bring prosperity and good luck for the coming year.
- Lion dance is also a way to create an atmosphere of celebration and bring joy.
- Performing in the costume of the lion, with the music of the drumming, playing cymbals and brilliantly, the lion's dance imitates the different movements of a lion, or exhibits martial arts's agility on the basis of style.
What is the costumes of Lion dance?
The Chinese lion dance is done by two "dancers" in the costume of lion, not like a pantomime horse. Artists become the body of a lion: the front head is the front and the limb, the rear and the rear behind the rear. Artists' feet are dressed in color similar to a lion's body, And sometimes the dress extends to the size and color of the lion's paws. The head of a lion is more like a size and a dragon like many Chinese lions.
How to lion danced on Chinese new year?
- Lion dances are performed by a two-person team inside of each costume; one controls the front legs and head while the other controls the hind legs. Both artists are completely hidden from view.
- The lion's mouth opens to receive gifts.
- Lions are “shaggy” with lots of fur and two big eyes that actually blink.
Types of Lion Dance in China
Though lion dances all use similar costumes, during its long development, the lion dance has divided into two styles: southern and northern.
- Southern lion dance
- Northern lion dance